A WOMAN is set to make "astonishing" allegations of "horrendous sexual abuse" by Harvey Weinstein in a British court.
Judges at the Court of Appeal were today told the once "aspiring filmmaker" was due to level "some of the most serious allegations a tribunal will ever see".
Weinstein, 68, was given a 23-year jail term in New York in March after being convicted of rape and sexual assault.
The sensational reporting of claims against him in 2017 before his initial arrest sparked the Me Too movement.
In the latest allegations, the woman claims she was sexually assaulted and harassed by the disgraced US film producer.
She claims people and companies associated with him "knowingly helped" him carry out the alleged acts, and has brought employment tribunal claims against them in England.
Today three Court of Appeal judges considered a preliminary round of that employment tribunal litigation.
Jonathan Cohen QC told the hearing she was alleging "horrendous sexual abuse by Mr Weinstein" and sexual harassment of a "truly shocking nature".
Lord Justice Underhill, Lord Justice Bean and Lord Justice Phillips said they would dismiss an appeal against a preliminary ruling by tribunal judges against one of the men in the litigation.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons and was referred to as YZ, says Tim Sarnoff and others are liable for "knowingly helping" Weinstein to sexually harass her.
Mr Sarnoff, who was one of Weinstein's business associates, denies her claim.
He argued that because he lived and worked in the US he had no connection with Britain, so a British employment tribunal had "no territorial jurisdiction" in the claim against him.
Mr Cohen said: "She suffered sexual harassment of a truly shocking nature, consistent with that for which Mr Weinstein has been convicted and sentenced in the USA.
"A critical part of YZ's claim in the employment tribunal is against those in control of the entities employing both her and Mr Weinstein, one of whom is Mr Sarnoff."
Diya Sen Gupta QC, who led Mr Sarnoff's legal team, said he "strenuously" denied the woman's claims. She said he denied them "in fact and in law".
She suffered sexual harassment of a truly shocking nature, consistent with that for which Mr Weinstein has been convicted and sentenced in the USA.
Last week we told how Weinstein had been put in isolation with suspected coronavirus.
Weinstein's recent health scare comes one month after he was charged with a further six counts of sexual attacks on two victims from alleged incidents more than a decade ago.
The new allegations against Weinstein claim he raped a woman at a hotel in Beverly Hills between September 2004 and 2005, prosecutors said.
They also accuse him of raping another woman on two separate occasions in November 2009 and November 2010 at a hotel in Beverly Hills.
Weinstein is alleged to have attacked five women in California from 2004 to 2013.
Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison in March, after a jury convicted him of raping a hairstylist in 2013 and performing oral sex by force on a production assistant with “Project Runway” in 2006.
He is incarcerated in upstate New York at the Wende Correctional Facility.
His extradition hearing for his case in Los Angeles County is set for December 11.
Source: Read Full Article