Samuel Olson's stepmom lost custody of her own kids before being charged over boy's suspected death

THE stepmother of missing six-year-old Samuel Olson lost custody of her own young children before being charged in the boy's suspected death.

Theresa Balboa, 29, lost custody of her two daughters, now aged six and eight, in December 2019, court documents show.

Read our Samuel Olson live blog for the very latest news and updates…

Balboa, who now finds herself at the center of a possible murder investigation, failed to show in court when a judge was due to decide who would take custody of them.

The two girls are now being cared for by one of her relatives, who told Click2Houston: "She wasn't born to be a mom."

The guardian, who declined to be named, added: "I know she wasn't taking good care of them … I tried to help her for many years."

The father of Balboa's two girls also skipped out on court for the December 12, 2019 hearing, but wrote a letter to the judge describing the allegedly fraught situation at home between him and his former partner.

"Things had gotten so bad between Theresa and I [that] we couldn't get along," he claimed in the letter. "It became an onslaught of verbal and physical abuse between the both of us towards each other."

Around 11 months later, Balboa was charged with assault and hit with a restraining order after she allegedly attempted to choke Samuel Olson's father, Dalton Olson, to whom she's engaged.

Balboa was barred from having any direct contact with any of Olson's family members, though the order was dropped after the couple managed to "work through" their issues, they said.

She was on bond for that offense when she was taken into police custody on Tuesday night for evidence tampering after she was found in a motel room with the body of a child stuffed inside a tote bag.

Investigators are still working to identify the remains but they believe them to belong to six-year-old Samuel, who was first reported missing on Thursday but may actually have vanished several weeks ago.

Police said the remains appeared as though they had been there for some time.

Balboa may be hit with additional charges as a police investigation continues.

Assistant Chief of Houston Police Heather Miller said several other persons of interest are being considered in the case.

They didn't name Samuel's father, Dalton Olson, as one of the persons of interest, but said they were talking with him and would continue to do so.

Speaking to his imprisoned fiancee on Wednesday, Olson asked Balboa "why did you do this?" and called for "justice for my son" in an interview with local media.

"Why? He loved you so much. I do not understand what happened," he said. "Why did you, why did you do this?”

"I don’t know what’s going on. I found out what happened last night," he said of her arrest. "I can barely breathe.”

Dalton told local media over the weekend that he and Balboa had a "routine" that his son would stay with her as he didn't have a car and worked long hours in construction.

Balboa reported Samuel missing on May 27, but he hasn't been seen by anyone outside of his family since April 30, when he last attended class at Holbrook Elementary in Cy-Fair ISD.

Samuel's paternal grandmother, Tonya Olson, said she last saw him on May 2 and later spoke to him on the phone, which was around a week and a half ago.

Balboa told police she handed Samuel over to his mother and a man dressed as a police officer at 7am last Thursday.

Balboa said the “officer” told her she would be charged with kidnapping if she didn’t turn him over, as she was not legally responsible for the boy.

She later repeated the claims in a tearful plea to local media over the weekend.

"I was going to take Sam to school when his mother showed up with the police officer, or who I was under the impression to be a police officer, and they demanded me to release Sam," Balboa told ABC13.

However, police were unable to verify Balboa's version of events.

When she was interviewed there were reportedly "several inconsistencies" in her story, police said. Homicide detectives were then assigned to the case.

Samuel's biological mother, Sarah Olson, released a public statement on Tuesday, slamming Balboa for her "lies."

She said Balboa's assertions that she had anything to do with her son's disappearance are false, adding "there are too many holes in that story."

    Source: Read Full Article