Girl, 15, suffers septic shock after bite from tropical ant infestation at her home
- Rayanne Turay, 15, from Wandsworth, is being treated in hospital for septic bite
- Her mother, Jordann Griffiths, said council home has a Pharaoh ant infestation
- She says her daughter is ‘traumatised’ and does not want to return home again
A 15-year-old girl developed septic shock after she was bitten by a tropical ant species that had invaded her council home.
Rayanne Turay, from Wandsworth, is being treated in a West London hospital after a painful bite under her armpit became infected.
Her mother, Jordann Griffiths, told Sky News that she had complained a few months ago about an infestation of Pharaoh ants in their home, which are generally found in Britain within heated buildings.
Despite efforts to eradicate the pests, the ants have remained at their home.
She added that the family has additionally experienced damp, mould and disrepair issues at their council home over the last 15 years.
Rayanne Turay, from Wandsworth, is being treated in a West London hospital after a painful bite under her armpit from a Pharoah ant became infected
The teenager is now said to be ‘traumatised’ and does not want to return to her council home
Jordann Griffiths, mother of Rayanne, said they have complained to Wandsworth Council about their Pharoah ant infestation
Mrs Griffiths said the hospital had confirmed from a swab of the infected area that an abscess had developed as a result of an ant bite.
READ MORE: Woman went to doctors complaining of incessant clicking and rustling noise and is told a SPIDER was living in her ear
She said her daughter, who is being treated at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, is now ‘traumatised’ and does not want to return home.
‘She doesn’t even want to see this place. It was very scary for her. It was scary for me and scary for her dad and people to see her the way she was.’
Housing campaigner Kwajo Tweneboa said Mrs Griffiths had contacted him about the situation and said that he found the case ‘quite shocking’.
He said: ‘If things were a lot worse and it didn’t turn out to how it’s played out, it could have been a lot worse for her and her daughter.’
A Wandsworth Council spokesperson said: ‘ This is obviously a distressing set of circumstances and we sincerely hope this young person makes a swift and full recovery.
‘We are aware of a Pharoah ant infestation at this resident’s property and using a pest control contractor we have treated the property three times over the summer and will continue to repeat the treatments until the problem has been dealt with.
‘A number of repairs to the property are also in hand and while we carry out these repairs and treatments we are offering the resident alternative accommodation so this situation can be resolved as quickly as possible.’
Rayanne took a turn for the worse after a bite in her armpit developed into an infected abscess
Housing campaigner Kwajo Tweneboa spoke to Sky News about Rayanne’s ‘shocking’ case
Source: Read Full Article