BRITISH GP bosses want to host multiple F1 races at Silverstone — once the season is given the green light.
The opening eight races are postponed or suspended and F1 chiefs are looking at doubling up races to ensure they get the season done once the coronavirus pandemic is over.
Last week, SunSport identified the French GP as a potential venue for two or three races, given the circuit’s location next to an airfield and ability to create different track layouts.
However, Silverstone chief Stuart Pringle says the Northamptonshire track would also be a suitable location given that seven of the ten teams are based in the UK.
And it would be a great move for six-time world champ Lewis Hamilton, who has won the British Grand Prix there six times, including last year.
Pringle said: “I have said to Formula One we are willing to work with them in any way they think is in the best interests of the championship.
“The majority of the teams are within a stone’s throw of the circuit, so operationally it would be pretty straightforward.
“We’ve got the fixed infrastructure, the staff could go home to their own beds of an evening in large parts, so if that’s how we can help then I’d be delighted to do that.”
One suggestion would be to run a second race in the opposite direction. It is an idea that Pringle says could work.
He added: “It’s not such a silly thought. We’re not licensed to run the other way, but these are extraordinary times, and I guess that extraordinary decisions are being made.
“Nothing’s off the table, but equally, let’s see what the next four weeks look like.
“It’s difficult for Formula One, they’re not just looking at what’s going on in Great Britain, they’re looking at what’s going on around the world, so it’s perhaps not such a crazy question.”
It’s difficult for Formula One, nothing’s off the table
F1 bosses have said they are still hopeful of putting on between 15 and 18 races this season, which could roll over into 2021.
And 2016 F1 world champ Nico Rosberg says they might need to “get creative” and introduce two-race events.
He said: “It’s very complicated and you would need a unanimous agreement between all the teams as well to make a change that big. But that’s definitely possible because everybody is open-minded and everybody wants to show the fans a great season.
“We could see some really nice coming-together now and them agreeing on some unusual ideas to make it a great show nevertheless.”
The season opener in Australia was cancelled when one team member at McLaren tested positive for Covid-19.
The Woking-based team subsequently withdrew from the race and have now placed some staff on furlough.
Drivers Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz have also taken pay-cuts to help save jobs as the reality of no racing begins to bite.
Meanwhile, F1 will host its second virtual GP on Sunday evening with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc making his debut in the series.
Brit George Russell will also break his esports’ duck and will race alongside Red Bull’s Alex Albon, Norris and Williams’ Nicholas Latifi.
England cricketer Ben Stokes will also take part in the event being shown live on F1’s YouTube channel.
Source: Read Full Article